So, last week I convinced you to make a jar of preserved lemons… and now the question is ‘what do I do with them”? Well, as promised, here is a recipe that uses preserved lemons. This stew is one of my favorites – it has enough heft to satisfy you on a cold night, but has a lighter flavor than a traditional beef stew. The best part is that it only takes about 45 minutes to make so it’s perfect for a weeknight dinner. It is one of my “go to” dinners when time and inspiration are in short supply – and that is why I always keep the basics for this dish in my freezer and pantry!!
Other recipes using preserved lemons:
No Recipes – Pomegranate Lamb Tangine with Preserved Lemons
Simply Recipes – Grilled Wild Salmon with Preserved Lemon Relish
Pinch my Salt – Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Israeli Couscous
Chicken Stew with Lemon, Potatoes, Artichokes and Olives
(Serves 4 – 6)
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 – 5 Idaho yukon gold potatoes or red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into quarters
- 1 preserved lemon quarter, rind minced
- 4 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 1 cup pimento stuffed spanish olives
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley (optional)
- Rinse the chicken. pat dry and cut into 2 inch pieces. Place chicken in a ziploc bag with the flour. Shake the bag to coat the chicken with the flour.
- In a 3 qrt dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides. You may need to do this in two batches. Remove chicken from the dutch oven and set aside.
- Add the onions, garlic and oregano and cook over medium high heat until softened. Add the wine, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken, potatoes and chicken stock to the dutch oven. Bring liquid to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Place the lid on the dutch oven and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the lemon rind, lemon juice, artichokes and olives. Stir to combine. Increase heat to medium and cook for another 3 – 5 minutes or until the artichokes and olives are heated through.
- Garnish with parsley if desired.