Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Mexican Pasta Salad
Servings: 8 - 10 servings
- 1 – 10 oz. box Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Pasta – bowtie or medium shells
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 3 quarts water
- 2 ears of fresh corn kernels cut off the cob
- 6 roma tomatoes cored and cut into ½ inch dice
- 1 large orange bell pepper seeded and cut into ½ inch dice
- 1 large avocado peeled, seeded and cut into ½ inch dice
- 3 scallions sliced ¼ inch thick
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- 3 Tbsp. corn oil
- Corn Strip garnish optional_
- 2 small corn torillas cut into 1/8 inch strips (optional)
- 1 cup canola oil optional
- Juice of two limes
- 3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. agave nectar or honey
- ½ - 1 jalepeno seeded and minced
- ¼ tsp. chile powder
- large pinch of salt
- ¾ cup corn oil
Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
Combine the chicken stock and water in a large saucepan or stockpot and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and stir until the water is boiling vigorously. Cook for 7 to 9 minutes until desired tenderness. Drain pasta and set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, combine the corn, tomatoes and bell pepper on a sheet pan sprayed with cooking spray. Drizzle with the 3 Tbsp. corn oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables for 15 – 20 minutes until vegetables are nicely browned. Remove pan from the oven and set aside.
To make the dressing, combine the lime juice, white wine vinegar, jalepeno, agave nectar, chile powder and salt in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the corn oil. Set dressing aside.
Corn strip garnish (optional): Heat the canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. When oil just begins to simmer, drop one of the tortilla strips in the oil. Cook for 2 minutes until nicely browned. If browning too quickly, reduce heat. Add the tortilla strips in small batches, being careful not to crowd the pan. Using a slotted spoon, remove the strips from the oil and drain on several layers of paper towels. Dust with chile powder and salt while still warm. Set aside.
To make the salad, place the pasta in a large bowl. Add the roasted vegetables and drizzle the dressing on. Toss to thoroughly mix and taste, adding more dressing if desired.
Gently mix in the avocado, scallions and cilantro. Garnish with the tortilla strips if using.