Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Indian Spiced Coleslaw
The flavors of India and Asia combine in this colorful Indian spiced coleslaw made with fresh turmeric, lime, coconut, cilantro and chiles.
- One 14 oz. bag coleslaw mix
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 red bell pepper seeded and sliced lengthwise into thin strips
- 1 small serrano chile stemmed and seeded
- 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup dried sweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- one - 1 inch slice of fresh turmeric peeled and grated
Combine the coleslaw mix, red cabbage and red bell pepper strips in a large bowl and set aside.
Combine the serrano chile, peanuts, coconut ,cilantro and lime juice in the bowl of a small food processor and process until the mixture is chopped into pieces about 1/8th of inch.
In a small saute pan, heat the canola oil until the oil shimmers. Add the mustard seeds and cover the pan until the seeds stop popping - about 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat and add the fresh turmeric and salt. Stir.
Pour the mustard seed and turmeric oil over the coleslaw mixture and toss to combine. Add the peanut and coconut mixture and toss again.
Taste and adjust seasonings and serve!
Calories: 93kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 475mg | Potassium: 179mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 960IU | Vitamin C: 25.1mg | Calcium: 135mg | Iron: 2.4mg