Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Slightly adapted from Madhur Jaffrey's Spice Kitchen, this Easy and Healthy Carrot Cake recipe is so moist, no frosting needed. Cardamon and pistachios give an Indian twist to this luscious cake.
- cooking spray
- parchment paper for lining bottom of cake pan
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup all purpose flour plus 1 teaspoon for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice OR 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and grated carrots packed (approximately 1/2 pound carrots)
- 3 Tablespoons chopped pistachios
- 3 Tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons golden raisins
Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees
Spray a 9 inch cake pan with cooking spray and dust lightly with 1 teaspoon flour, dumping out excess flour.
Trace bottom of pan onto parchment paper and cut out circle.
Place parchment circle in the bottom of the cake pan.
Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together and set aside.
In the bowl of a mixer add the eggs and beat until the whites and yolks are combined.
Add the sugar, butter and spices and beat until thoroughly combined.
Gently fold in the flour. When incorporated, stir in the carrots and 2 Tablespoons of the pistachios and 2 Tablespoons of the walnuts. Stir in the raisins.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Sprinkle the top with the remaining chopped nuts.
Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out cleanly and the top of the cake is golden brown.
Cool and serve!
Calories: 282kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 243mg | Potassium: 182mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 4255IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1.3mg