Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate and Balsamic Vinegar
Pomegranate balsamic vinegar works beautifully in this dish. If you don't have it, plain balsamic works OR you can substitute 1 Tbsp. pomegranate molasses and 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Servings: 4 -
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts halved lengthwise unless smaller than a walnut
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar pomegranate balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the olive oil and swirl to coat the pan.
Add the brussel sprouts and season with salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes then stir the sprouts around.
Cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until the brussels sprouts are golden brown.
Add the broth and 1/2 cup water.
Bring the liquid to a simmer and stir occasionally until the sprouts are almost tender when pierced with a knife - about 10 - 12 minutes.
If there is liquid remaining, turn the heat up to high and cook until the liquid is gone and the sprouts are sizzling.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the balsamic vinegar.
Stir to combine.
Taste and adjust the seasoning and sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds if using and serve.
- Buying brussel sprouts: If possible, purchase sprouts that are all about the same size. Otherwise, cut the sprouts in halves or quarters.
- Use a cast iron or other heavy bottomed skillet. DON'T use a non stick skillet as the brussel sprouts won't brown as well.
- If you don't have balsamic vinegar, use red wine vinegar and add about a tablespoon of honey.
- STORAGE: Extra brussel sprouts can be refrigerated up to two days.
- REHEAT: re heat in the microwave or in a very hot skillet. Add a little water to the pan if the brussel sprouts start to stick.
Calories: 92kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 40mg | Potassium: 466mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 855IU | Vitamin C: 96.4mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 1.7mg