Last updated on March 26th, 2018 at 01:55 pm
I honestly thought I’d conquered my obsession with appetizers.. sadly I have not. So please bear with me, this is the last one for a while .. I think 🙂 The other night I was lying in bed and instead of visions of sugarplums I had visions of appetizers – mini crostatas to be exact. This idea took hold and would not let go. So, I got up and scribbled a few notes in my notebook and then fell back asleep – with no further visions of anything, thank you very much.
After a little experimentation I came up with these – mini crostatas with caramelized onions and bacon – a creation based more upon the contents of my pantry and refrigerator than divine inspiration!! This concept though would lend itself to lots of different filling ideas – caramelized onions and blue cheese, sauteed apples with a little maple syrup and toasted nuts, raspberry preserves spiked with a little chambord… the possibilities are truly endless.
So, here you go.. my recipe for Mini Crostatas!!
Mini Crostatas with Caramelized Onions and Bacon
- 4 slices of bacon, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced with slices cut in half
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup shredded cheese ( I used fontina, mozzarella and parmesan)
- Pie dough sufficient for a 10 inch double crust pie
- In a medium sized skillet, cook the bacon until it is browned but not crispy. Remove bacon from the pan, reserving 2 Tbsp. of the drippings in the pan.
- Heat the pan to medium high heat and add the onions. Reduce heat to medium and cook the onions until nicely browned – about 10 – 15 minutes. Remove onions and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg yolks with the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Dust a cutting board with flour and roll out the pie dough until its about 1/16 inch thick. Using a 3 inch round cookie cutter, cut circles out of the dough. Collect scraps and re roll, cutting out additional circles.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. On a parchment lined sheet, place the dough circles, spacing about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Place 2 tsp. of cheese on center of dough circle and top with about 1/2 tsp. caramelized onions. Fold edges of dough circles over filling, pleating as needed.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Top with a few pieces of bacon and return to oven and bake until crusts are golden brown – about 5- 8 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.