This Grapefruit and Gin cocktail is the perfect balance of sweet and tart. Ruby red grapefruit juice and elderflower liqueur flavor this classic sour cocktail that you'll be sipping all winter long!
If you've been reading ACT for a bit, you know I'm a fan of mixed drinks. I'm also a huge fan of anything with citrus! So it's no surprise that grapefruit cocktails like this Moscow Mule with Ruby Red Vodka or this Cosmopolitan are on frequent rotation here at ACT.
IMO, Pink grapefruit juice is an ideal ingredient for cocktails. It's slightly bitter flavor balances the sweetness of simple syrup and most liqueurs... and it's such a pretty color!
Although I love a Greyhound cocktail (a combo of gin and grapefruit juice) I wanted something a little smoother. I thought adding a sweetener would work, and St. Germain (an elderflower liqueur) was a perfect choice.
This cocktail is simple, sweet, sour and smooth... with just a hint of spice!
Ingredients you need to make this Gin and Grapefruit cocktail :
- Gin - A less juniper-forward gin is really good in this cocktail!
- Fresh Squeezed Grapefruit Juice - Pink grapefruit juice is sweeter than regular grapefruit juice and is definitely a prettier color!
- Elderflower liqueur - the light, honey flavor of St. Germain works really well with both the gin and grapefruit flavors. If you don't have any, you can substitute simple syrup.
- Fresh grapefruit slices and rosemary - although you don't need these to make the cocktail, I think they make a beautiful and fragrant garnish.
What gin goes with grapefruit?
Gin pairs surprisingly well with grapefruit so it really comes down to personal preference. Although I love a good London Dry gin, I thought it was too strong for in this drink. My choice is Hendrick's gin - it's very smooth and doesn't have that strong juniper flavor.
What can I substitute for gin?
If you don't like gin you could definitely substitute vodka. Believe it or not, silver tequila also makes a wonderful substitute for gin in this cocktail!
How to Make a Grapefruit Cocktail:
- Combine the grapefruit juice, elderflower liqueur, and gin in a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake vigorously for 10 - 15 seconds..
- Strain into ice-filled rocks or old fashioned glass.
- Garnish with grapefruit slice and a sprig of fresh rosemary if desired.
Other Gin Cocktails you may enjoy!!!
If you enjoyed this cocktail, I would love for you to give it a 5 star rating! Cheers, Nancy
Gin, Grapefruit and Elderflower Cocktail
- 1 ¾ oz. Hendrick's gin or other less juniper forward gin
- 1 oz. fresh ruby red grapefruit juice
- 1 oz. Elderflower liqueur
- 1 slice grapefruit optional
- 2 sprigs rosemary optional
- Combine the gin, grapefruit juice and elderflower liqueur in a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Strain over ice into a rocks glass and garnish with a grapefruit slice and rosemary sprigs if desired.