This recipe was originally published on August 18, 2011.
Luscious strawberries wrapped in creamy whipped cream and topped with a caramelized sugar crust, this Strawberries and Cream Brulee is everything an easy summer dessert recipe should be! Simple and uncomplicated, this Strawberries and Cream recipe is one of my favorite “no fuss” recipes. Using my tips for making whipped cream ahead of time, this is dessert comes together in minutes!!!
It’s hard to believe that something so simple, like this strawberries and cream recipe, could taste so amazing… but it’s true! If you like Creme Brulee, you are going to love this easy summer dessert. Creamy and sweet, it has the the same crunchy caramelized sugar topping as a true creme brulee but this version is definitely lighter – which when the temperatures rise, is just what you want! And since I love boozy desserts, I added a little Cointreau to the whipped cream because… well, that’s how I roll!
The best part of this easy dessert? You can totally make the whipped cream ahead of time – like a day or two – WOO HOO!!
And because I love ya, I’m going to share with you the secret to…
How to Make Whipped Cream Ahead of Time:
- Whip the cream to soft peaks!!! The whipped cream will separate a little and, by underwhipping the cream, you can give it a brisk whisking right before serving and not end up with butter!!!
- Use powdered versus granulated sugar. anti caking agent in powdered sugar helps to stabilize the whipped cream.
- Refrigerate after whipping!
So here’s what you need to make this Strawberries and Cream Brulee:
- fresh strawberries or other berries
- powdered sugar
- Cointreau, Triple Sec, limoncello OR Vanilla extract
- Turbinado or Raw sugar
Now, for the fun part ..
Here is how you make this Strawberries and Cream Brulee!
Step #1: Whip the cream as instructed above. Cut up the strawberries….
Step #2: Fold them into the whipped cream…
Step #3: Divide the strawberries and cream between the ramekins leveling them out as much as possible…
Step #4: Sprinkle them with raw or turbinado sugar and then use a brulee torch to melt the sugar!
Step #5: Serve to your family and friends!!
Other Easy Summer Dessert Recipes you might like:
- Butter Cake with Boozy Berries
- Yogurt Cheese Tart with Fresh Berries
- Two Ingredient Crustless Cheesecake
- Moscato Grape Granita
Luscious strawberries wrapped in creamy whipped cream and topped with a caramelized sugar crust, this Strawberries and Cream Brulee is everything an easy summer dessert should be! Simple and uncomplicated, this Strawberries and Cream Brulee is right up there with Butter Cake with Boozy Berries and Yogurt Cheese Tart with Fresh Berries for no fuss, easy summer dessert recipes!
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries hulled and sliced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cointreau optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract if not using Cointreau
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
In a medium sized mixing bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks just begin to form.
With mixer running, slowly sprinkle in the powdered sugar.
Add in the Cointreau or vanilla extract.
Divide strawberry and cream mixture among four - 4 oz. ramekins smoothing the tops.
Sprinkle generously with turbinado or raw sugar, making sure to to heavily cover some areas of the top.
Using a torch, brulee the sugar until it melts and caramelizes. The cream will melt but don't worry - it's supposed to!!!
Refrigerate ramekins for a few minutes until the sugar hardens. Serve immediately!!
- Although I made this dessert with strawberries you could easily use raspberries, blackberries, blueberries peaches, nectarines or plums!
- I used turbinado, or raw sugar in this but if you don't have any, you can use granulated sugar.
- You can add the strawberries to the whipped cream and fill the ramekins a few hours ahead of time. If assembling ahead of time, take the ramekins out of the refrigerator about 15 minutes before you plan on torching the sugar!