WOO HOO!! Week 2 of Superbowl menus!!! Now, in case you missed it, here’s a quick summary. Last week I started things off with a Sparkling Ginger Lemonade, Tandoori Chicken with Mango Curry Slaw and Crispy Chocolate and Coconut Cookies!!! But because you can never have too many menus to choose from, I decided to do another one featuring another classic… sliders!
Specifically, Superbowl Sliders. But these are not your average, little mini hamburgers. No, I kicked these babies up a notch with a spicy Chipotle mayonnaise and some marinated red onion – just typing this is making me hungry for one (or 2!). Like all good Superbowl foods, these are easy to put together – you can prep everything ahead and then all you have to do is grill up the meat and assemble the sliders.
Decorating Tips: Superbowl is one of those holidays (and yes, given our obesession with football I think it qualifies!) that requires few if any decorations!!! But if you are having the gang over for the game, it’s fun to spruce things up a bit – a simple tablecloth (plastic is fine!), some football themed confetti and some curly ribbon are really all it takes to make the “snack station” festive. If you want to “kick it up a notch”, here are some other easy decorating tips!
- Use a strip of artificial turf as a runner – a strip that is about 12″ – 18″ wide by 8 feet works for most tables.
- Use sports trophies as table decor.
- Need picks for your sliders? Attach confetti to 6 inch skewers with double sided tape.
Many supermarkets now carry slider sized meat patties and buns. If you store doesn’t carry them, substitute dinner rolls for the buns and cut out the patties as described in the recipe. Everything can be prepped ahead so that all you have to do at game time is grill the meat, re heat the buns and assemble the sliders.
- 1 1/4 lbs. ground meat
- 12 slider buns (or 12 dinner rolls)
- 6 leaves romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 lemon
- For Chipotle mayonnaise
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeds removed
- 1/4 tsp. sauce from chipotle peppers
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- For Chipotle mayonnaise – Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. If making ahead, transfer to a covered container and store in the refrigerator.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees. Wrap buns in foil and place on rack in the oven to heat.
- Place the onion slices in a medium bowl. Squeeze juice from the lemon over onion slices and sprinkle with salt and toss to combine. Let onions marinate while you finish making the sliders.
- On a large cutting board, pat out the ground meat. Using a 2 2/2 inch cookie cutter, cut out slider patties from the meat. Reform meat and cut additional patties out until you have 12 patties.
- Pre heat grill pan or barbeque according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Season beef patties with salt and pepper. Grill patties until cooked and the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
- Remove buns from the oven and place bottoms on a serving platter.
- Top with a grilled meat patty, tomato slice, lettuce leaf and a few pieces of the marinated onion. Spread some of the chipotle mayonnaise on the top bun and place on top of the onions. Use a small skewer to hold slider in place if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Here are some other Superbowl recipes you might enjoy –
Recipe Girl – Chorizo, bean and cheese nachos
White on Rice Couple – Spinach Dip