Happy Fall Everyone!!!
Or at least that is what the calendar says… my thermometer however is saying something different … low eighties for the foreseeable future… (sigh)
So, I guess I won’t be pulling out my dutch oven anytime soon …..
But even though the temperature feels more like summer than fall, that doesn’t mean I can’t start enjoying fall flavors.. like this Starkrimson Pear and Fennel Salad. I know, I know for most people “fall” means squashes.. or pumpkins to be exact. But for me… it’s all about the pears and the apples. So when these gorgeous pears from Melissa’s Produce showed up on my doorstep I knew that, despite the temps outside, fall was indeed on its way!
If you’ve never had a Starkrimson pear they are worth seeking out. Sweet, juicy with a creamy texture they are a perfect “eating” pear – by themselves or as part of a cheese or charcuterie board…. or in this salad. Pears, endive and fennel are not only a classic combination but one of my favorites …and the perfect canvas for a sweetly spiced vinaigrette.
Although I am still craving chowders, chilis and all things braised, I think I can wait a little longer…. especially if I have a plate of this salad handy!!!
If your orange is sweet you will probably only need 1 tsp. of the maple syrup. I generally start with 1 tsp. and add more if needed.
- 1 Starkrimson pear, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 head endive, leaves separated
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1 - 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch ground allspice
- 3 Tbsp. walnut oil
- salt to taste
- white pepper to taste
- For the vinaigrette: Combine the orange juice, zest, maple syrup, mustard, cinnamon, allspice and a large pinch of salt in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Slowly drizzle in the walnut oil and season to taste with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- For the salad arrange the arugula on four plates. Divide the remaining ingredients between the four plates and drizzle with the vinaigrette.