Happy “almost” Labor Day!! Well, I’ve been “laboring” in my kitchen and thought this dish was so perfect for Labor Day, I couldn’t wait to share it with you!
About a week ago, Robert Schueller from Melissa’s Produce contacted me with an idea. He thought it would be fun to ship out a few of these boxes to some food bloggers for a little friendly competition – coming up with some new recipes on how to use these red Savina Habaneros. Never one to back down from a challenge, I was completely “in”!!! So, earlier this week a package arrived on my doorstep … this darling little box of red Savina Habanero Peppers! Aren’t they cute?
Proving the adage that you can’t judge a book by it’s cover (or in this case, a pepper by it’s “cute” factor) these little gems are HOT! How hot? Well, let me put it into perspective for ya…. a jalapeno ranks at about 5,000 on the Scoville Scale… and the Habanero? It ranks about 250,000 to 350,000 on the Scoville Scale, making it one of the hottest peppers known to man. But don’t let that scare you!!!
I’ve got the perfect dish for you to try them out – a Savina Habanero Slaw!
I’d been thinking about making a spicy slaw for a while and thought the red Savina Habanero’s would work really well in it… which they did- the habanero’s gave it just the right level of kick and I love all the little flecks of red in the dressing. I’ve had it for lunch the last couple of days but it would be a terrific side for grilled steaks or chicken… and perfect for a Labor Day BBQ!
IF you are a "chile novice" I recommend adding about half of the habanero. The heat level will increase as the dressing sits so if you are making the dressing ahead, you may wish to wait to taste it just before serving - if you'd like it hotter, just mince a bit more Habanero and stir it into the dressing.
- 1 cup Crema Mexicana (or creme fraiche)
- Juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 3/4 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 1/2 cup (packed) fresh cilantro, stemmed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small red Savina Habanero, minced (about 1 1/4 tsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 1/2 sweet onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1/2 cup (packed) cilantro, chopped
- 2 ripe mango, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- For the dressing:
- Combine all the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and process until the dressing is smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- For Slaw"
- Combine all the slaw ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle half the dressing over and mix, adding more dressing if necessary. Serve!